Monday, November 23, 2009

Katsudon














The German adventure continues.......Schnitzel goes Eastern... becomes Katsudon!


Thanks to my talented German guest, I had a supply of cooked Pork Schnitzel in my fridge. Looking for an easy meal, I decided to use the schnitzel in place of pork katsu for Katsudon, a favorite Japanese meal of mine. I slice the schnitzel into 1/2 in strips. I laid the strips on top of the Katsudon sauce and served it over Japanese rice. Yum!

Tonkatsu
4 pork chop( or 4 precooked Schnitzel!)
Black pepper and salt for seasoning
2-3 tablespoon flour
1 egg, beaten
1-2 cups Panko breadcrumbs

Make shallow cuts along the rim of the pork chop to prevent curling during cooking. Pound the chops until thin. Lightly season both sides with black pepper and salt. Roll in flour, egg and lastly breadcrumbs. Fry until golden before turning over and browning the other side. Traditionally the chops are deep fried but I just pan fry mine.

Soup Stock
1 tablespoon sugar
100 ml Mirin
75-100 ml soya sauce
100 ml dashi (or chicken stock)

Put all liquid ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
NB. I used 100 ml soya sauce and found it too salty for my taste



Other ingredients
1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
4 eggs, lightly beaten

Method
Saute onion slices until translucent. Pour over the liquid ingredients. Simmer until onion is soft. Put the sliced Tonkatsu (or Schnitzel) over the simmering sauce, keeping the shape of the Tonkatsu/ Schnitzel together. After a minute or so, pour beaten egg over the Tonkatsu/ Schnitzel. Cook until just set. Scoop one Tonkatsu/Schnitzel together with eggs and onions and gently placed over cooked rice. Top with more gravy if desired. Serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment