Sunday, December 29, 2013

Miguel's Jalapeno White Sauce

I fell in love with this dip/sauce the first time I had it at Miguel's; a Mexican seafood restaurant here in San Diego. It came with baskets of chip as an appetizer before the meal. I ate too much of it needless to say! I loved it so much than when I was packing up my leftovers from dinner that night, I scraped every last bit of the sauce into my box. I took the leftovers home to my daughter and had her taste the Queso Dip. Another person now obsessed with this dip/sauce!! Apparently, the waiters will give you the recipe if you ask for it so it was fairly easy to find it on the internet. This is my second time recreating this dip/sauce. I think it is quite a delicious simile of the legendary sauce. Give it a try!

Ingredients
2 cups whipping cream (470g)
1 cup sour cream (254g)
1 tsp chicken base
2 tbsp. flour
1 pickled jalapeno, minced (30g)
1 tbsp. juice from bottled jalapenos (30g)
2 oz shredded jack cheese
2 oz shredded cheddar


Method:
Heat whipping cream in a heavy saucepan over high heat. 
When the cream is ready to boil, stir in sour cream.
 After the sour cream dissolves, reduce heat to medium.
Stir in chicken base and jalapeno juice.

While cream is heating, make a roux by warming butter in a saucepan over medium  heat. Stir in flour and mixing with a whisk until mixture is light golden brown.




Just before the cream comes to a boil again, add roux to the cream mixture, whisking briskly until roux is fully incorporated. Cook the mixture for 1-2 mins until mixture is smooth and slightly thicken.
 Remove from heat and add in the minced pickled jalapenos.
 Stir in the shredded cheese and stir to melt.


Taste the sauce. Add additional jalapeno juice and season with additional salt if needed. The sauce should be slightly piquant, creamy and luscious. 

Makes about 3.5 cups. Serve with tortilla chips as in the restaurant. It is equally good with potato chips. Maybe used as a sauce for enchiladas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment