Saturday, June 6, 2015

Potting up

At this time of year, I have a little ritual each morning before work and again when I get home from work. A cup of coffee in hand, the dogs trailing at my feet, I step out to the little side garden to check on the seeds I have sowed and the seedlings that have sprouted earlier.

The tomato seedlings are growing bigger while other have finally sprouted. Looks like five year old tomato seeds are still viable. These came from Seed Savers Exchange.





Tomato seedlings
Just when I thought that certain seeds were duds, I would see a peek of a tiny leaf sticking out of the soil. The wonder of nature! It inspired me to sow more seeds. It helps that the weather is warming up and seeds are sprouting up faster.

Roselle seedlings

The next step after the seeds have sprouted, is to wait for the true set of leaves to form. Let it grow a little and then pot up. Potting up, basically means to transfer the seedling to a bigger container/ pot. Below are cucumber seedling with both their cotyledon leaves and their true leaves. True leaves look like the leaves of the adult plant. When the true leaves comes out, it means it starts photosynthesis.



The other big bonus about potting around in the garden, are the company of Frasier and Ellie. They are always very happy to have me in the garden with them. I have to play and pet them to contentment before I am allowed to garden. They will then wander around and then later come sit nearby watching me or snooze away. After a bit, when they think they have been neglected for too long, I will find furry heads under each arm!! Yup, it is play time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment