Saturday, August 8, 2015

Mushroom Smothered Pork Chop

August 4, 2015

A week ago, just as we were pulled into our driveway, a salesman from Meat Delivery company waylaid us. Daughter was hesitant but I was ready to have another source for steaks. Plus, the fridge had been bare since our mini vacation 2 weeks ago.... and I was too busy/ lazy to go shopping. Long story short, I bought some goodies from him. I got a selection of beef tenderloin, jumbo prawns, Ahi Tuna, Kobe Burgers and Boned in Pork Chop. The latter was the inspiration for tonight's dinner. 


I have been trying to recreate this  Pork Chop with a mushroom sauce that Helen Headke, my sister-in-law's mother used to serve us. Even my sister-in-law has lost the recipe. It has been so long since I had the dish, I don't remember exactly how it taste, only remembering how good it tasted. She used to serve it alongside with her Pasta Primavera. BH who also loves Helen's pork chop asked if this was her recipe. This is first version to the  Pork Chop and the mushroom BH has said he likes!! This is a tribute to Helen Haedke.


Adapted from Tyler Florence Smothered Pork Chop 

Ingredients

6 oz whole white button mushroom - sliced

6 oz whole brown button mushroom -sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup buttermilk
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish


Directions

Clean and slice the button mushrooms. I prefer to slice whole mushroom myself as the slices are fresher and firmer than pre-sliced mushrooms. Heat up a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil. Add sliced mushroom and saute until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.

Put the flour in a shallow platter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels to remove any moisture and then dredge them in the seasoned flour; shaking off the excess.

Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan in a single layer and fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Brown all fat surrounding the pork chops. Remove the pork chops from the pan and aside.


Add 3 tablespoon of the seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the fat to dissolve. Cook until light golden brown and then pour in the chicken broth in. Add half of the sauted mushrooms. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. 

Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy and return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with the sauce. Add the reserved sauted mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Taste. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.


N.B.

I added sauteed mushroom to Tyler Florence's original recipe. I added them in 2 stages; first to impart flavour to sauce adn second so that I could have some mushroom with firmer texture.

I did not have any buttermilk tonight so I used half cup of whole milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice instead.

My pork chops were 1 inch thick so I increased the simmering time by 10 minutes, total 15 minutes of simmering. 

I remember that Helen's pork chop dish had lots of onions. This dish does not but I might try adding onions the next time.

PS
Family fighting over remaining pork chops the next day. They are mopping up the sauce with bread and rice!! Guess, it is a keeper !

No comments:

Post a Comment