Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mexican Bush Sage Salvia Leucantha

My friend C and her husband stopped by the other day and her husband G, asked me what I would recommend him to grow behind a low garden wall he has. He wanted a plant that grew no higher than 3-4 ft. I smiled, and immediately recommended Salvia Leucantha, Mexican Bush Sage. I usher them out the back door into my garden and showed them my beautiful Mexican Bush Sage. My friend C and husband G, loved the plant, especially C who is partial to anything purple!! 







The Mexican Sage is in full bloom now. The hummingbirds are buzzing through the air and chasing each other happily, stopping to sip nectar at the soft fuzzy purple and white flowers. I had been admiring this very beautiful and reliable plant while gardening in recent days. It is an extremely hardy plant, drought tolerant and grows well in full sun and light shade. It comes back every year without fail. It thrives on neglect. All you have to do is to cut down the stems almost to the ground at the end of fall. You probably will already see new shoots emerging from the ground. There are years when I don't even cut down the old branches, and the plant does fine. I find I can cut down old branches and reshape the bush anytime but in the hottest weather. I have been thinking I should be making cuttings of the plant for my Temecula house.





1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it is indeed very beautiful. It reminds me of English styled gardens.

    ReplyDelete