Saturday, May 22, 2010

Moorish Tortilla !

First there were the projects with the scraps of yarns.... then more yarn was purchased to finish off the project that the scraps started. See where I am going........ One of the places it lead me to was the making of I fondly refer to as my Moorish Tortilla! Beautiful vibrant Tortilla.

Luscious Moorish Tortilla!



One of the blog I follow is the Interweave Crochet. I came across the fabulous Moorish Afghan. It captured my attention straight away. I could take the project with me and make my Tortilla on the go. Later I will sit down and piece together my masterpiece. I have visions of myself wrapped up in this beautiful afghan running through meadows...... Hey, what can I say, they did a great job selling the project.



So far I have made 21 out of the 30 Hexagon that morph into Octagon Tortilla needed. I have to confess that it has been more than 21 days since I last touch the project but that is what is so great about this project. You can make one motif and have the satisfaction of being done. Each motif is a new experience as the color combination is different, which line you change the color is different therefore how you join in the new color is different. PLUS, there is no wrong or mistake!! As long as you stay with the yarn colors selected for the project, it is all good. The pattern called for Mission Falls 136 Merino Superwash wool which was both more expensive ($6 to $7.50 a 50g ball) and too hot for California climate. I choose similar colors from KnitPicks ShineSport - 60% Pima Cotton and 40% Modal - unbelievable softness. It was heavenly to crochet. I think it must be the Modal that gives it the wonderful hand. At $2.49 a 50g ball I will certainly be buying more colors for my other projects. In addition to the remaining 9 Octagon, I will have to make 20 squares and 12 triangles. Here are some pictures of my project so far.

 


Hopefully I will soon post further progress of Moorish Tortilla Afghan

No comments:

Post a Comment