- 1 lb of Tiger Prawns
- 2 Chayote Squash, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 large yellow onion
- 6 pips of garlic
- 2 inch knob of ginger
- 2 stalk of lemongrass (bottom part sliced and top part crushed)
- 3 Chipotle chillies in Adobo sauce(more if you like hotter curry). I use Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce
- 3 teaspoon of crumbled roasted shrimp paste (belachan)
- 2 tablespoon Nonya Curry Powder or Amy Beh's Curry Powder on Kuali)
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil ( I use olive oil)
- 2 cans of Chaokoh brand Coconut Milk (5.6 oz or 165ml each)
Grind together onions, garlic, ginger, sliced lemongrass, chipotle chillies and belachan until a smooth paste. Heat oil in saute pan. Add ground fresh ingredients and crushed lemongrass stalks, fry over medium heat, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Sprinkle over curry powder, stir in and continue frying, until fragrant.Add a little more oil to assist frying if necessary.
Add chayote squash slices and fry for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk ( I used 1 1/2 cans but 2 cans can be used for more sauce). Stir. When it comes to a simmer let Chayote cook until almost just tender. Add tiger prawns and cook until just done and the prawns have the beautiful colorful red strips.
Garnish with fried sliced shallots. Serve with white or basmati rice.
**fresh or rehydrated chillies may be used in place of the Chipotle Chillie in Adobo sauce. I have found them to be convenient substitute and invaluable in my impromptu cooking sessions!***